Friday, January 14, 2011

An Explanation

Let me first explain the name of this online journal. The Bible talks a lot about knowledge, but also about wisdom. Knowledge is a fairly clear term, but few understand wisdom in its entirety, the result of which we see on a day-to-day basis. If more people understood and sought after wisdom the way that Proverbs describes-“searching after it as a lost treasure”-I believe we would not be stuck in the cultural and economic quagmire that we are currently in. That is not to say that wisdom will create a great utopia, but rather to say that foolish behavior is a rampant outbreak and is so because of the lie that foolishness is somehow admirable (see Jersey Shore). To put it shortly, wisdom is the ability to live life well. It is wrapped in the ability to make good decisions, use logic, see the bigger picture, and to apply the knowledge you have to better yourself. I guess what I am getting at is the difference between knowledge (facts, rote memory, common knowledge, etc) and understanding (the ability to combine knowledge and wisdom). This is what I call Knowledge (capital K). I am fascinated by the idea that Knowledge and ideas can change people. It frustrates me that I’ve already forgotten so much from my undergraduate studies because I just memorized things and then forgot them 30 minutes after I took a test or turned in an essay. God has given us as humans several gifts that he didn’t give to any of his other creations, most notably a mind and a soul. God has granted me the opportunity to learn and gain understanding about myself, Him, the world, humanity, history, and everything else. By applying that knowledge, I learn wisdom and not only is my mind continually formed, but my soul grows to a better understanding of why I am here. I hope that this blog accomplishes this for you as well as for me. At least that is my aim and the reason behind the name.
That being said, what you can expect to see and read on this blog are things that I find interesting, things that expand my knowledge, and common occurrences in my ever-monotonous life. This includes theology, psychology, philosophy, history, music, movies, news, economics, politics etc. I love learning and I love thinking, but I also love sharing those things with other people. At my core, I am a teacher. I want to challenge people to think differently, not just pass along information in a lecture. True Knowledge is a rare commodity these days; and so it makes sense to me to say that Knowledge is power; power to change yourself and influence those around you. However, this blog will also be a place where I share part of myself: how the Lord is changing me ever into a more perfect picture of Himself. That is what my life is about so I feel I must include that here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment